Wednesday, January 25, 2012

our first time...

We recently caught up with our first ever wholesale customer, Elizabeth Leu, of Fiddlesticks in San Francisco.  At the time she owned Lavish in Hayes Valley, but soon after opened Fiddlesticks down the street. After selling Lavish 2 years ago, she's focusing on growing Fiddlesticks and absolutely loves what she does. 

JHW: Describe Fiddlesticks. What was your vision in creating your children's boutique?

EL: Growing up my mom would take me to the department stores and I just hated going. I would literally throw tantrums in the stores. It was like an allergic reaction. And to this day, I avoid department stores and struggle when I have to go to a big retailer. So in creating Fiddlesticks, it was extremely important for me to have a very clean, modern & and easy to shop store. I wanted people to feel welcome and inspired.

JHW: What do you look for as a buyer?

EL: Design is #1 and how it fits into the brand Fiddlesticks as well as quality and vendor relationship.

JHW: How do you balance your personal taste with what you predict will be your customers' tastes each season?

EL: Every once in a while I have to step out of my comfort zone and take what I believe to be a risk. It may be an employee strongly suggesting the risk, a vendor pushing an item, or a trend spiking that I may not agree with. Sometimes it fails, and I get to say - I TOLD YOU SO! But when they are right, it's me becoming a better buyer. I believe a good buyer has to listen to their gut,  take into consideration their brand, and listen to all the outside opinions.

JHW: What trends for 2012  are you most excited about?

EL: During the recession we saw a lot of stripes and dull colors, and as we have been climbing out more and more color has been added. But what is really emerging this Spring are beautiful and bold patterns. Every vendor we purchase from absolutely nailed the pattern & the mix of colors. It is honestly one of the best seasons in design that I have ever seen.

JHW: What is the most important thing you do as an owner to run a successful boutique?

EL: I have always taken the 'I' out of my business - in fact, those that know me well know that I tend to shy away a bit from the spotlight. While I take great pride in my business, I take a bigger pride in my team. There are 3 of us, full time - and together WE create Fiddlesticks. It's a team effort. I believe the success of this store is built on how well my team works together to make sure every corner of the business is optimized.

...

So grab a cap from Blue Bottle, a scoop from Smitten and stroll over to Fiddlesticks to see Elizabeth and her team in action. Seriously, it'll be a good day.

Fiddlesticks, 540 Hayes Street, San Francisco, CA
www.shopfiddlesticks.com

1 comment: